pets

A Tale of Rescue, or How Jen and Me Came to Be

I know my story is not unique; nonetheless, it serves as a cautionary tale.  Trust me when I say that not all can be saved, so choose carefully when you decide to rescue a human.

I first met Jen on a warm October day.  I was happy as could be, enjoying a nice walk after having just rolled in something dead and stinky.  All was right with the world.  And then I saw her driving down the road looking all serious and sad.

Suddenly she stopped.  She asked me what I thought I was doing on such a busy street, and told me to go home.  She asked me where I lived.  She even offered to give me a ride.

And in a moment of insanity, I jumped into her car.  Life has never been the same since.

Jen made calls and ran ads trying to find my humans.  I guess I should have told her it was useless.  I had just admitted failure in training a family and moved on.  I knew they wouldn’t look for me.  But she seemed so determined…. and so sweet…. and nice.

But oh, if I had known then what I know now, I might have run the other way when she opened that car door!  She has not been the easiest human to train.  It’s taken much effort and a dogged persistence.  I admit there were occasions when I’d decided to call it quits, but each time I ended up changing my mind.  There was just something about her!  She kept trying, and I simply couldn’t give up as long as there was hope.

So here we are almost 5 years later, still together and going strong.  We have our good days and occasionally a not-so-good one, but I hold no regrets for having saved her that crisp fall day.  Of course, she thinks that she’s the one that saved me.  Please don’t tell her any different.  It makes her happy, and that’s fine with me.

32 thoughts on “A Tale of Rescue, or How Jen and Me Came to Be

1. You should be VERY Proud that you saved a Human Rumpy! I didn’t know she found you on the street all alone. That means you WERE MEANT to Save Jenny! We BELIEVE in the magic of the Angels!

Love Morgan & His Crew

Posted by Donna M Lenz | July 31, 2011, 7:15 AM
  2. Aw, what a touching story of how you saved Jenny, Rumpy. You changed her life for the better.

Posted by Cathy Thorneycroft Graham | July 31, 2011, 7:39 AM
  3. Oh Rumpy, may we call you Rumpy, what a sweet story. Allowing a human into your life the way you did is so “doggie like”. We admire you and respect your dedication to the human race.

We went to live with Mom, our human, because she was so sad. She and her husband had just divorced (whatever that means) and she needed us to take his place. So, we agreed to help Mom out and the rest is history. Actually, it has been one big love story. What we dogs are willing to do for our humans!

Hope you are getting plenty of treats on these hot summer days.

Winston and Clementine

Posted by Winston and Clementine Wester | July 31, 2011, 8:31 AM
  4. Lovely story, I hope she realizes how lucky she is, my HuMum had to write a test to get me, and she struggled with the answers!! Then she waited days and days to find out if I’d given her a passing mark, and HuDad said, ‘JEESH! I should have been the one to write the test! if it had been me, I KNOW we’d have him by now!’…heehee….

Posted by West Coast Dogs | July 31, 2011, 9:42 AM
  5. Oh Rumps, this made me smile so big! I’m glad you and Jenny each committed to training each other! It was fated for you to meet on that road all those years back. It was meant to be!

Posted by Christine Maurer | July 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
  6. Great story Rumpy. You are a very generous and kind doggie.

Posted by chabichou | July 31, 2011, 12:55 PM
  7. Guess what, Jen told me….she’s over the moon in love with you….so YES she is very happy you trained her…sit, stay is my fave!

Posted by ron & sophie...^5 | July 31, 2011, 2:01 PM
  8. WE LOVE RUMPY DOG! (Applebys) xoxo

Posted by Will Appleby | July 31, 2011, 2:22 PM
  9. What a wonderful story! It was a lucky day for both of you to cross paths with each other. Jen is a very special person to open her heart and her car door and let you into her life. Especially since you had just indulged in being a Primal Pup! That’s what our people call it when a dog rolls on a dead stinky thing! 😀

And you’re a very special dog for giving her extra chances to be trained, too. Sometimes it’s hard for the humans to figure out what we’re trying to tell them. It would certainly be easier if we all spoke the same language. Of course, love is a universal language and we can tell you and Jen have a lot of it.

Because she was sad then, it was the perfect time for you to find her. We hope you get to be together for a long, long time. We know you will take good care of each other!

Love and loud purring from the RainbowCats

Posted by dogsleder | July 31, 2011, 9:58 PM
  10. Great story Rumpy 🙂

Posted by Bassas Blog | August 1, 2011, 3:25 AM
  11. Woo! Rumpy! Your so smart!

Posted by Jen (@JwJlow) | August 8, 2011, 5:25 PM
  12. Happy Gotcha Day Story 🙂 Yes our humans are very lucky to have us!
    Love
    Carus
    (CarusDaPurrball)

Posted by Carus | October 20, 2011, 11:25 AM
  13. MOL, humans are a bit slow but they’re worth the effort.

Posted by Katz (And Other) Tales | October 20, 2011, 7:01 PM
  14. Rumpy, I think you both are so very lucky your paths crossed! Maybe someday I’ll be as lucky. 😉

Thank you for your visit and comment on my Pet Blogger Hop post this last week. Sorry that it took me so long to get over here to say “hi!”

Posted by Lindy MacDuff | October 26, 2011, 3:00 PM
  15. You’re all heart, R. I never doubted it, but seeing your rescue story – it’s for sure. You’re doing a great job with Jen. Humans can be tough to train, but kudos for sticking with it.

Love and licks,
    Cupcake

Posted by Genevieve Petrillo | October 19, 2016, 5:11 AM
  16. Good thing you rescued her! Heaven knows where she would have ended up!

Posted by Kate Crimmins | October 19, 2016, 4:37 PM