poetry, women's issues

Dance Partner

This is the first poem I’ve written in awhile. I was thinking about how I’d like to meet a guy to just have some fun with and how impossible a task that seems in the area where I live in this Age of Trump. I know. I said I’d give up. But the heart knows what the heart wants, and I want this. I’m working on a plan to relocate to a place more conducive to my finding what I want.

It feels good to be creative again.

When nightlife was cool
and people were fun,
a man caught my eye.
We danced in the sun
and loved ‘neath the moon.
We drank from the Cosmos
then slept until noon.

But then came the times
when people would hate.
They’d lash out at others
and desecrate
Love’s core essence
because they could not reach
a state of tumescence.

Are there persons still
who want for more
than to tear down each other
and not know what for?
I long for the days of yore
when we sang, we laughed, and
we loved on the dance floor.

(free clipart from diyparty99.com)

9 thoughts on “Dance Partner

1. I love your poem! There’s too much hate in the world.

Posted by Clowie | March 18, 2021, 10:14 AM
  2. Loved the poem.

Posted by pensitivity101 | March 18, 2021, 2:03 PM
  3. Beautiful, Jen!

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | March 18, 2021, 6:20 PM
  4. I await to hear of your goals bing reached with bated breathe……..I am well aware that seems creepy? I dont care! Cheers,H

Posted by helentastic67 | March 19, 2021, 8:38 AM
  5. A poignant poem on too much of the current world. Good luck finding a place more welcoming and more in line with your needs.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | March 19, 2021, 12:02 PM
  6. Love it. Good luck.

Posted by granny1947 | March 20, 2021, 11:14 AM
  7. Hi Jen. Thank you for visiting and following HoB. Much appreciated!

Posted by Herman | April 11, 2021, 8:51 AM