poetry, social issues

That’s Life

While old life inches closer to its end,
new life explores this world with awe and joy.
Molly’s suffering I can’t comprehend.
The kitten never ceases to annoy.

This is the cycle of each of our lives;
youth’s energy racing ever forward
while elders sit and ponder all that was,
wishing past decisions better chosen.

Kitten sees me as a major hindrance
to getting whatever it is she wants.
Molly sees me as a bossy dog nurse,
snapping fingers, whistling her back to earth.

Our days together precious and too few,
it is the path that we all travel through.

16 thoughts on “That’s Life

1. I feel for you Jen.

Posted by pensitivity101 | August 30, 2021, 5:51 AM
  2. well said…. and no one can stop this circle…

Posted by easyweimaraner | August 30, 2021, 6:03 AM
  3. The heart melts.
    Would we have it any other way?
    xoxoxo

Posted by Carolyn Page | August 30, 2021, 7:01 AM
  4. That’s the major drawback to having animals in your life: they don’t live long enough! They wrap your heart around them; make you fall in love with them; then go off and die! But you do it all over again because the love and companionship they provide is like nothing else you’ll ever experience.

Posted by Alejandro De La Garza | August 30, 2021, 10:44 PM
  5. So many people say it’s a shame that kittens grow up, but we’ve always been pleased when they mellow into adults!

Posted by Clowie | August 31, 2021, 2:30 AM
  6. As someone who lost an old dog last year and is currently trying to train a new puppy, I can relate to this poem!

Posted by annabellefranklinauthor | August 31, 2021, 10:29 AM
  7. WOW!!! Jen this is one of your best poems ever!!! Thank you for sharing…..I remember being the young woman racing towards my future. Now I am the elder looking back & remembering…I love how you wove Kitt & Molly into your poem…such striking imagery!
    (((hugs))) Sherri-Ellen & **purrss** BellaDharma