dogs, Pet Health, pets

The latest on Molly

Tomorrow Molly and I are going to the vet.

Each time we go I wonder if this time will be the last. It’s true the decision is mine to make, but if you’ve ever loved a furry, you know it’s never that simple.

Molly’s case is especially difficult for me, because it’s hard to tell what exactly is going on with her. With other loved ones who suffered from a terminal illness I could somewhat tell when it was time to let go.

But Molly’s CDS has progressed to the point that she is on automatic pilot most of the time, so there are no signals like those I experienced with other companions. We walk each morning and she seems to do ok, but she isn’t engaged and the rest of the day she’s lost. She struggles to squat and potty and she has a tremor in her left rear leg. The lipoma on her chest has grown so large that her right front leg turns inward now, and sometimes I notice she minimizes the weight she puts on that leg. All this despite a daily dose of Carprofen for pain management.

Molly sleeps much of the day, and I’ve noticed her breathing is more labored. I’m sure it’s difficult to get comfortable with that thing bulging out of her chest. Despite all this her appetite is good, so I wonder, is she truly hurting or am I fearing the worst?

I’m grateful to have a team of caring and supportive veterinary professionals working at the clinic I frequent. They take good care of my furry family and believe, as I do, to do what you can but don’t prolong the inevitable at the expense of quality of life. I trust them to see her situation objectively because I can’t.

This was filmed an hour before publication.

I pray your beloveds and you never suffer from this most horrific disease.

24 thoughts on “The latest on Molly

1. Sweetie was a great little dog. She developed cancer, which we had treated. Throughout the treatments she developed a heart condition. Her final day was so surreal. She was hemorrhaging from the mouth, but was in good spirits. Keith took her to the vet. She didn’t come home! One could say it was a good ending for a fabulous little dog.
    My only concern was that she didn’t suffer… She didn’t.

Posted by Carolyn Page | September 7, 2021, 10:35 PM
  2. I’m glad you can rely on your vet to help with the difficult decision.

Posted by Clowie | September 8, 2021, 2:49 AM
  3. Good vets are hard to come by and we were lucky with ours. Thinking of you Jen ❤

Posted by pensitivity101 | September 8, 2021, 7:03 AM
  4. Poor pup. She does look so lost. Good luck today for the best outcome for Molly.

Posted by Kate Crimmins | September 8, 2021, 7:07 AM
  5. My heart goes out to you and Molly.

Posted by justdrivewillyou | September 8, 2021, 7:41 AM
  6. We know you will always, always do what’s best for your beloved furries, Jen. We are so glad you have honest and caring veterinary professionals who can help you make those quality of life decisions. We feel the same way about our vets, and consider ourselves so fortunate for that. Hugs and all good thoughts to you and Molly.

Posted by meowmeowmans | September 8, 2021, 8:40 AM
  7. Hugs and purrs from the kitties and me, Jen.

Posted by Leah | September 8, 2021, 10:15 AM
  8. Deerest Miss Jenn this diss-order iss pawfull…iss it sorta like “Doggie Deementia”?? BellaSita sayss it iss….wee KNOW you due yore best fore Molly. An wee here to support you both with ***purrss*** an POTP an purrayerss an lotss of ❤ ❤ ❤
    ~~head rubss~~BellaDharma~~ an ((hugss)) BellaSita

Posted by BellaDharma an BellaSita | September 8, 2021, 10:22 AM
  9. We all send love and hugs to your sweet Molly.

Posted by Brian | September 8, 2021, 1:25 PM
  10. If only they could tell us how they feel! I’ve been in this position with an old dog, and it’s so hard – each time they survive a vet visit it feels like a reprieve. I hope you and Molly had a good outcome today.

Posted by annabellefranklinauthor | September 8, 2021, 2:01 PM
  11. Jenny, I can semi-relate. When Angus was nearly 18, we realized he didn’t hear us most of the time, cataracts kept him from seeing clearly, he was not interested in ANY of the things he’d formerly enjoyed (if we went exploring in a field, for example, instead of sniffing and discovering, he stared at me, as if he were asking, “What are we here for?”) he seemed to lose balance and he slept all the time. I know he was hurting, if nothing else than due to age. The vet said we’d know when it was time. And we did. He also reminded us doggies have a high tolerance for pain and endure a lot before they show it outwardly. I hated the thought that he was hurting.
    It’s been said our furries give us some of the happiest days of our lives and our saddest day. So true. I still cry over our 2. I’m crying right now! Only you can make this hard choice. Weigh it carefully – I know you will – so you don’t live with regrets.

Posted by Terica | September 8, 2021, 5:59 PM
  12. Bless you for caring enough for this little cutie. Glad you have a supportive team to help you manage her condition as well as give you perspective on doing the right thing. Sending warm thoughts of comfort.

Posted by Tails Around the Ranch | September 9, 2021, 8:50 AM
  13. I’m so sad knowing what is soon to come. Jen, you are a Saint! Feeling less than. Cheers,H

Posted by helentastic67 | September 9, 2021, 9:04 AM
  14. This is so heartbreaking to hear as I follow her progression with the disease. Take care, both of you.

Posted by KDKH | September 11, 2021, 11:37 AM
  15. Please hug Molly for me. So sorry. It is heart breaking to see those we care and love sick. Take care of yourself. Thank you for sharing your story and Molly’s.

Posted by Island Traveler | September 11, 2021, 10:08 PM
  16. It is a difficult time for sure.

Posted by J.W.S. | September 13, 2021, 1:13 AM
  17. We are going through a similar situation with my 9.5 year old rottie mix. My heart goes out to you both.. it’s such a hard thing to go through.

Posted by SunnyDazeAhead | September 16, 2021, 7:51 PM
  18. Best wishes for Molly and you Jen. People who have never loved a dog/cat or any animal will never understand the pain ❤

Posted by astijake John | September 21, 2021, 8:33 AM